Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.
Skip the main content if you do not want to read it as the next section.
The Directory of Social Change has a vision of an independent voluntary sector at the heart of social change. We believe that the activities of charities and other voluntary organisations are crucial to the health of our society.
Through our publications, courses and conferences, we come in contact with over 35,000 organisations each year. The majority are small to medium sized, rely on volunteers and are struggling to maintain and improve the services they provide.
We are not a membership body, but our public commentary and the policy positions we take are based on clear principles, and are informed by the contact we have with these organisations. We also undertake campaigns on issues that affect them or which evolve out of our research.
We view our role as that of a ‘concerned citizen’, acting as a champion on behalf of those organisations whose needs may not be accounted for in public policy. We ask critical questions, often challenge the prevailing view, and try to promote debate on issues we consider to be important.
Great Giving Campaign
DSC’s Great Giving campaign originates from our principle of Responsible Giving. We want to support and help develop best practice among those organisations that give to charities and other voluntary organisations.
Our campaign has four themes, which are supported by DSC research. We want to achieve:
1. A clear picture of the funding environment
2. Accessible funding for campaigning
3. An end to hidden small print
4. No ineligible applications
Find out more about the Great Giving campaign
Big Lottery Refund Campaign
Hundreds of millions of pounds are being taken from the Big Lottery Fund to fund the 2012 London Olympics – money which should have gone to charities and good causes across the country.
DSC is campaigning for the Government to give the money back. Learn more and become a supporter of the campaign at www.biglotteryrefund.org.uk.
Recent DSC reports
- DSC response to the Government’s Giving green paper consultation (March 2011) [pdf document].
- Ineligible Applications: The Wasted Work of the Voluntary Sector [pdf document].
- Critical Conditions: Investigating the Transparency of Grant Terms and Conditions (full report) [pdf document]
- Critical Conditions: Investigating the Transparency of Grant Terms and Conditions - Summary Findings [pdf document]
- DSC’s full response to the Compact Refresh [pdf document].