One day online course
Online courses take place via Zoom and include a one hour lunch break as well as brief refreshment breaks.
Book included: Key Guides: Data Protection – for voluntary organisations
What are the key areas that this course will cover?
The course covers the importance of lawful processing, the principles of data protection and the eight rights of data subjects. This is delivered using case studies and up to date stories from the news. The course also includes a number of interactive tasks designed to test the attendees understanding of the law and how to implement it.
What will I get out of it?
The course will help the attendee to develop better data processing policies for amongst other things;
- Data Retention – How long can data be stored?
- Security – Implementing appropriate organisational security especially for staff
- How to ensure compliance when staff use their own electronic devices
- The course will help the attendee to create a positive culture for data protection and assist with ‘Data protection by design’ requirements and explain how to uphold the new ‘Accountability principle’
- How to manage data protection when delivering services to beneficiaries and clients
- How to manage fundraising and uphold the rights of donors
- How to manage archives for photographs
- Appointing a data Protection Officer – who should it be?
- How to manage special category data such as health, sexual orientation, religious beliefs and biometric information
What will it cover?
- Understand why data protection is vital to the future of your charity
- The data protection principles explained in straightforward terms
- The conditions for processing – Do you need consent?
- The eight rights under data protection explained including the right to be forgotten and subject access requests
- Case studies – learning from those that got it wrong!
- How to make a data breach report – What should be reported and what shouldn’t?
- Privacy policies and notices – how to write effective policy
- Sharing data and third-party agreements
- Data security and how to manage staff
How is this course relevant to my job role?
Every organisation that processes data must comply with Data Protection Law in the UK as well as considering whether other such laws apply. This course is relevant to all types of data processing including fundraising, dealing with volunteers and delivering services to beneficiaries, clients and members. The course will also assist where there are International transfers of data.
How is this course going to affect my role and the contributions I make to the organisation?
The course will empower the attendee to make decisions about how data should be processed lawfully and how to uphold the rights of all data subjects. It is designed to ensure the organisation is aware of compliance critical requirements and how to put them in place.
What will I be able to do after the course that I maybe could not do before the course?
By the end of the day the attendee will have a thorough understanding of data protection laws and how to prepare the necessary policies. This course is designed to empower everyone to start making decisions about the future, to remain lawful and gain the confidence of supporters, staff, volunteers and beneficiaries.
Who should sign up?
This course is suitable for any member of the team who is responsible for processing the data of individuals. It would suit fundraisers, the HR team, events teams, service delivery and those that organise volunteers.
Trainer: Mark Burnett
By placing this order you agree to DSC's terms and conditions:
Terms and conditions