One day online course
Online courses take place via Zoom and include a one hour lunch break as well as brief refreshment breaks.
One of the key rules of fundraising is that ‘if you don’t ask you won’t get’! Potential supporters aren’t telepathic so to get support we need to focus on what we say and how we say it.
Asking someone (an individual, a company, a trust, another organisation) for a donation, or to come to an event, to volunteer their time or provide services, on behalf of your charity or non-profit organisation need not be a harrowing affair. Making an ‘Ask’ can even be a pleasant and enjoyable experience. This course will take you through five important areas to consider in making an Ask: relationships, planning, and process, motivations, what you say/how you say it.
People involved in fundraising are often nervous to make the Ask but we’ll look at some of the psychology around asking and how to make it a positive experience for the asker as well as the recipient of the ask.
You’ll go away invigorated and dying to start or continue asking for support for your cause as you’ll feel more confident about the whole process of asking.
Who should sign up?
This course is for anyone involved in fundraising from newbies to more experienced fundraisers as all will gain from examining the process of asking and most will see things from a new perspective.
What will I get out of it?
- Learn about the key process involved in asking
- Understand more about potential donors, their motivations and what they are looking for
- Consider the different types of asking – a new donor, an existing supporter, the pledger who’s not yet handed over their cash…
- Identify potential givers, make the Ask, build and maintain relationships.
- Find out how to maximise any relationships you build, and the income they bring in.
- The importance of storytelling and the use of emotive language in your asks
- How to avoid some of the Asking pitfalls
- Find out how the thanks is the first stage of the next ask
- Gain confidence about asking
- Lots of hints and tips
What will it cover?
- What is a fundraising Ask?
- Types of Asks as not every Ask is for money
- What makes a good Ask?
- Planning the ask
- The anatomy of an ask
- Psychology of giving
- Motivations of donors and supporters
- What you say and how you say it
- Storytelling and language
- Dealing with a sensitive areas of fundraising
- Overcoming nerves and increasing confidence in Asking
- Understand the Asking process
- Dealing with objections
- Dealing with ‘no’
- What happens when it’s a ‘yes’
- The importance of relationships
Trainer: Gill Jolly
By placing this order you agree to DSC's terms and conditions:
Terms and conditions