What is the interactive database?
DSC’s armed forces charities database is now fully interactive! Using the interface above, you can now explore the data and answer your questions on the armed forces charity sector.
You can create bespoke visuals, tailored to your needs and interests, using the filtering and drill-down tools – in just a few clicks!
What does it cover?
The interactive database includes up-to-date information on the following key areas of interest:
- How many? Number and charities and their characteristics
- How much? A breakdown of income and expenditure
- How are income and expenditure distributed? Income and expenditure by subgroups
- How is the sector changing? Opened and closed charities this year
How do I use the interactive database?
The interactive database is simple to use, but the following tips and tricks might help you get started:
- Click the arrows in the bottom right-hand corner to expand the interface to full screen.
- Navigate between pages using the buttons in the bottom corners of each page – or using the interactive contents.
- Hover over the question-mark icon on the charts to see definitions of the concepts used.
- Use the control panel at the bottom of each page to apply one or more filters to the data.
- Click on the help icon on any page for a short guide on how to interact with and build the charts.
About the project
Since 2014, Forces in Mind Trust (FiMT) has funded the Directory of Social Change (DSC) to produce research that illuminates the armed forces charity sector.
As part of this work, DSC maintains a database of UK-registered charities which meet our definition of an armed forces charity – charities that are established specifically to support past and present members of the armed forces and their families.
The database will be updated every month so that charities, practitioners, policymakers and the general public have access to the latest information on the armed forces charity sector.
DSC has also published a series of Sector Insight and Focus On reports which analyse the sector overall and key aspects of support. These can be downloaded from our reports page.
Frequently asked questions
Q: How often is the underlying data updated?
A: The database is updated each month with data collected on the last working day of the previous month. The date of most recent update can be found on the first page of the interactive database.
Q: How do I cite the interactive database?
A: To reference this resource please use the following citation: ‘Armed forces charities interactive database’ [web page], DSC, 2021, https://www.dsc.org.uk/armed-forces-charities-dashboard/, accessed [Date].
Q: Who can I contact to provide feedback on the interactive database?
A: We welcome all feedback on the Armed forces charities interactive database, including general comments, feedback on functionality, and suggestions for further content you’d like to see added. Please contact the research team at firstname.lastname@example.org.