A governance framework can be used to initiate, influence and advance leadership.
The board should recognise the value of a diverse board. How well is your board achieving high and sustainable performance through a diversity strategy? How well is your organisation levering your board members’ perspectives and experiences? How well is the board developing the leaders the organisation needs?
Principle 6 of the Charity Governance Code states “the board’s approach to diversity supports its effectiveness, leadership and decision making”. This course will support boards as they develop, review or update their diversity objectives and diversify the makeup of the board.
Who should sign up?
This course is ideal for all trustees who want a good understanding of diversity and how it applies to their current governance practices. It is relevant to staff who need to know what trustees do and how they can best support and advise trustees to utilise diversity and achieving success and sustainability.
What will it cover?
- Critical components for strategic diversity – diverse boards that lead effectively
- The role and expectations of the chair in supporting diversity in governance
- The mix of skills, perspectives and experiences to enhance diversity on the board
- Identifying good practice in board recruitment and board reviews to support cognitive diversity
- Cultural competencies and capabilities – Assessing soft skills and cultural fit
- Addressing issues in shaping a diverse board- dealing with diversity challenges
- Developing a diversity framework for effective decision making
- Strategies for attracting, recruiting, developing and retaining diverse board members
- Exploring approaches to board assessments and reviews using a diversity lens
- Understanding the role played by the governance and nominations committee in strengthening diversity.
- Being set up for success – building trust and confidence
- Key diversity performance indicators
- Reviewing performance – undertaking a diversity governance audit
- Strategies to create an environment where trustees can constructively challenge each other
- Case studies and experiences that provide practical routes to inclusion, and diversity within a governance framework.
What will I get out of it?
Participants are able to understand the board responsibility in enhancing good governance.
The board is better able to remove, reduce and prevent obstacles for people becoming trustees.
Formulating a framework to carry out diversity audits and using diversity as an integral part of the governance review. Trustees shape plans to monitor and achieve the board’s diversity objectives. Those attending will explore strategies to develop the pipeline of new trustees. This includes integrating technology into the recruiting process and maintaining a competitive edge.
By placing this order you agree to DSC's terms and conditions:
Terms and conditions