One day online course
Online courses take place via Zoom and include a one hour lunch break as well as brief refreshment breaks.
Data is the evidence that we use to convince people that our activity has genuine impact. Visual presentations of quantitative or qualitative data are proven to be more effective at engaging audiences than simple text or tables of numbers. In this hands-on, practical course you’ll learn tried and tested techniques for creating engaging data communications for reports, slide decks, websites or social media. The course is fully interactive, and includes discussions, exercises and Q&A.
Who should sign up?
Anyone who is presenting data to stakeholders and wants to improve the clarity and impact of their communications, regardless of the software they’re using.
What will I get out of it?
- Understanding how to assess the needs and data literacy of different audiences.
- Knowledge of how and when to use different types of charts and infographics.
- The confidence to identify and express the key insights in the data.
- An overview of common data presentation pitfalls, and how to avoid them.
- Hands-on experience of visualising a range of data sets.
- Awareness of the free tools and resources available.
What will it cover?
- The key elements of a successful data visualisation.
- Industry best practice, and discussion of good (and bad) examples.
- A simple framework for identifying the Audience, Story and Action.
- How to balance function and aesthetic appeal in visualisations.
- Identifying the right chart, graph, infographic or other visual style.
- Incorporating qualitative data and case studies alongside qualitative .
- Design and layout principles, and creating hierarchies of information.
- Using colours to highlight key points and communicate meaning.
- Tailoring visualisations for different types of communications.
Trainer: Alan Rutter
Book your space and access an exclusive 15% off on DSC publications
By placing this order you agree to DSC's terms and conditions:
Terms and conditions