One day online course
Online courses take place via Zoom and include a one hour lunch break as well as brief refreshment breaks.
Being brief and accurate is the hardest part of writing well – in fact, most people need an editor to make that part of their rewriting easy and rewarding. With limited resources in your organisation, you might have to double-up as your own editor, or you might be editing other’s writing, such as colleagues and service users, for use both inside and outside your organisation. This practical course will show you tried-and-tested techniques for editing just about anybody’s writing to make great copy even better
Who should sign up?
Do you have to shorten pieces of writing to make them fit your word count?
Do you want to focus your writing without distorting your message?
Do you have to adapt other people’s writing to fit your various platforms?
Have you have attended DSC’s Writing for Impact course and want more practice and guidance? (not required)
If so, this workshop will build your confidence in knowing how to shorten and focus all types of written messages without changing their meaning.
What will I get out of this course?
- Identify how to use words to focus and affect your reader
- Know how to structure your sentences to engage and inspire
- Explain how to structure paragraphs for maximum influence
- Identify how to use different punctuation marks for effect
- Know how to apply cohesion and coherence to your writing
- Discover how to build your brand in your organisational writing
What will the course cover?
- Identify the eight types of words and how they affect your style and tone
- Clarify commonly-confused words and when to use Plain or Academic English
- Identify the components of sentence structure and how they affect your reader
- Correct common grammatical errors in English that can put your reader off
- Apply top-down and bottom-up paragraphs to getting your message through
- Identify all the major punctuation marks and use them for effect
- Apply cohesion and coherence to unifying your writing
- Practice editing to build your confidence and courage
- Go from first draft to published draft with confidence.
Trainer: Paul Brollo
‘Paul is very friendly and encouraging, and he allows everyone the space to engage. He makes a lot of effort to understand everyone’s individual needs and concerns with their writing/editing.’
Kalli Jayasuriya. Researcher, DSC
Book your space and access an exclusive 15% off on DSC publications
By placing this order you agree to DSC's terms and conditions:
Terms and conditions