One day online course
Online courses take place via Zoom and include a one hour lunch break as well as brief refreshment breaks.
Digital book (pdf) included: The Charity Treasurer’s Handbook.
Do your eyes glaze over at even the slightest mention of financial information?
It’s something which a lot of us can admit to, but understanding your organisations finances can vastly improve the way you work. Having an idea of how finance works will help managers to run successful projects or teams and will assist trustees in overseeing the work of your senior management team.
This simple to understand course will help demystify those columns of figures and teach you the basics of financial reporting, obligations, budgets, cash, profit and loss.
You’ll soon realise that understanding accounts and financial projections will actually help you plan your work and your projects better, and enable you to report more clearly on the achievements you make.
Who should sign up?
Those with little or no previous financial experience who need to understand and interpret financial information, including staff, trustees and volunteers.
What will I get out of it?
- Understand all the various types of accounts and spreadsheets: what the figures mean, who they are for, and what they can tell you about the charity in the past, present and future.
- Learn how to create your own budget, including estimates of costs and incomes, and how to present it to your managers along with your project plans.
- Understand where your own budget fits into the wider picture of your charity’s finances.
- Learn the various terms, obligations and practices of charity finance so you no longer have to bluff it.
What will it cover?
- Key finance terminology: assets, liabilities, depreciation, accruals etc.
- The difference between cash and profits
- What budgets are and how to control them effectively
- Key financial and operational information needed as part of financial reporting
- The role of the audit: what you need to know
What people said about this course
“Genny was a really excellent trainer – she was very clear; worked with us and took us through the day at the right pace; is obviously highly knowledgeable and experienced but able to cover matters in a way which made sense to me and others who are entirely new to this area. She was also very warm and engaging (which is really important, especially having to do it all remotely!)”
Paul Hook, Asylum Matters
Trainer: Genny Jones
By placing this order you agree to DSC's terms and conditions:
Terms and conditions