Half day online course
Online courses take place via Zoom and include a brief refreshment break.
Digital book (pdf) included: Key Guides: Minute Taking
For all those responsible for taking the minutes of their meetings, this task is not something generally relished. It is something minute takers often feel anxious about or is at the very least, rather a chore they are not looking forward to. All too often, the minute taker struggles to make sense of a rather chaotic meeting and works long and hard to write up intelligible minutes, sometimes not even read by the meeting participants.
This course stresses the importance of the minute taker’s role and offers practical tips on how to make the task more manageable both in terms of preparing for the meeting in collaboration with the Chair as well as writing notes during the meeting and producing the minutes afterwards.
The DSC (digital) publication, ‘The Minute Taker’s Handbook’ is also provided with this course.
Who should sign up?
The course is suitable for anyone who has to take minutes at formal or informal meetings, whether a complete beginner or someone who already has some experience.
What will I get out of it?
- Understand the legal and practical purpose of minutes.
- Know what information has to be recorded in minutes and be able to listen for what is relevant and important during the meeting.
- Be confident in using a framework to simplify the process of note-taking during the meeting and writing up the minutes afterwards.
- Have explored the relationship between the minute taker and the chair, and how it can contribute to effective meetings.
- Be able to write the minutes in a style and tone appropriate to their purpose.
- Have discussed and shared practical tips to make the minute taker’s job easier.
What will it cover?
- The legal and practical purpose of minutes.
- Listening and taking notes at meetings.
- Strategies for taking relevant and accurate notes.
- The layout and presentation of minutes.
- Working with the Chair to plan and prepare for meetings.
- Writing up the minutes in an appropriate and accessible style.
- The role of the minute-taker in relation to others in the meeting.
Trainer: Chrissie Wright
Book your space and access an exclusive 15% off on DSC publications
By placing this order you agree to DSC's terms and conditions:
Terms and conditions