How do you change the world? First of all find out from those who have trod the path before you and are trying to do just that.
27 contributors, from glamorous charities, and those that are successful but less well-known, share the experiences that made them successful social leaders and their insights will give you the confidence to approach your own challenges with renewed vigour.
Author Craig Dearden-Phillips founded Social Club to provide a forum for CEOs of charities, social enterprises, and public sector organisations to share ideas. All in different way are changing the world.
Who should buy this book?
For social sector leaders, current and future. You might run a charity, a Community Interest Company or a co-operative or you might lead a spin-out from the public sector or have a business that you run primarily for social purpose. Or you may be looking to lead one day. If you are here to change the world this book is for you.
What does it cover?
In 2015 Craig Dearden-Phillips launched ‘Social Club’ to provide a unique opportunity for dynamic and entrepreneurial social sector CEOs to share, learn and collaborate. Both Social Club members and some of the most popular Social Club speakers were amongst those interviewed for this book.
As leaders they stand out in five distinct ways:
- They innovate, striving to balance the changing needs of both their growing organisation and those whose lives their organisation exists to improve
- They collaborate, clearly differentiating their organisation from others and working across sector boundaries to deliver both impact and value for money
- They show humility, understand that we all make mistakes and willingly share what they learned from their own.
- They recognise the need to live a balanced life, making time to be good partners and parents, as well as strong leaders and effective managers.
- They are ambitious, for themselves, but more importantly, for their teams and the people they serve. We all need to be recognised, but none hog the limelight.
Reading this book will help you:
- Learn from the experience of high-achieving people working in your sector
- Understand how to position purpose alongside profit more effectively in your organisation
- Transform your organisation inspired by our interviewees, who spoke candidly and honestly about the ups and downs of leading sustainable social change.
‘If you lead in the social sector, or hold any ambition to do so, there is no better preparation than this excellent book.’
Norman Lamb MP
‘We’re seeing increasing insecurity and instability in the charity sector as funding becomes harder to secure. This book will help you adapt to these changing times, survive and succeed.’
Nat Sloane, Chair of Big Lottery Fund in England
About the author
Craig is the author of three books on social sector leadership and is a visiting lecturer at Cass Business School. He took his first charity CEO role at 25 and now coaches CEOs, boards and teams in the social sector to become more successful. Craig also runs Social Club, a fast-growing network of social sector leaders.
Beyond this, Craig is a trustee of Impetus-PEF and is Chair of Stepping Out Foundation which supports social start-ups. Outside work, Craig has three children, lives in Suffolk and is a committed amateur triathlete, representing Great Britain in 2017.
By placing this order you agree to DSC's terms and conditions:
Terms and conditions